Rocket Fuel Newsletter – 12/17/22
Why PSG has already won the World Cup!!!! And SantaFlation hits record highs! 🎅
This week’s edition has a simplified interpretation of this week’s Fed meeting notes and the lucrative world of professional Santas.
Fuel Up! 🚀
- World Cup Final This Weekend – One Paris Club Is Guaranteed A Champion: The World Cup final, pitting Lionel Messi and Argentina vs. Kylian Mbappe and France, is this Sunday, December 18 at 10 a.m. EST. While the two stars will be on opposite sides of the pitch on Sunday, once the World Cup ends, they’ll both suit up for Paris Saint-Germain once club play resumes (which happens to be run by Qatar Sports... coincidence?). So, regardless of which country takes home the trophy, Paris Saint-Germain has already won!
- Inflation Hits The North Pole As Professional Santas Cash In: With consumer demand for Santa back in full swing as the pandemic abates, companies are having a hard time finding Kris Kringles to fill in. From one employer: "Professional Santas with his company, he says, can earn anywhere between $5,000 and $12,000 during the holiday season, depending on where they live and how much they're willing to work."
The Federal Reserve concluded their final meeting of 2022 by raising the Fed Funds rate by just 0.50%. You expected that and so did the market.
Here are 4 things about this announcement
- This is the 7th interest rate increase this year and the first time since 1994 that involved a cycle of 0.75% increases.
- This week’s smaller 0.50% increase signals that the Fed has seen some small improvements in the inflation data but remains cautious to understand how the massive lag effect of rate changes plays out in the economy. Take away – watch inflations and jobs data for clues to Fed moves.
- This week’s change also brings the Fed Funds rate to 4.50%. It’s expected that this rate will move up to 5.0% in early 2023 via two more rate increases of 0.25% each. Data dependent, of course.
- We should expect upcoming Fed speeches to act like a rudder in the financial waters. If stock and/or bonds rally too much, Fed presidents may talk more aggressively about keeping rates higher for longer.
- Redfin’s 2023 Housing Predictions
- Will Your Next Home Be 3D Printed?
- October Housing Data From Black Knight
- How The Housing Market Got So Unaffordable For So Many!
- University Of Maine’s 100% Bio 3D Printed Home
Mark Goldstein retained his title last week with another puzzle win. His time of 36 seconds was one of three under 1 minute, along with Ali at 43 seconds and Will Davis at 59 seconds.
This week’s puzzle gets 3 Rocket out of 5. Click here to solve!